Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sad Times





UNBELIEVABLE...less than four years ago I had a herd of 72 goats and could actually afford to feed them! Now, my herd numbers have dwindled down to only 16 goats and it costs as much to feed them as it did when I had 66 more.

There is more demand for goat meat in the U.S. than ever before, but because of rising feed costs, producers can't stay in business. The cost of fuel to operate farm equipment has driven grain and hay prices to ridiculous highs and they just keep rising! The feed for my horses went up 30 cents from last week to this week and a 50-lb bag of 16% goat ration from my local Co-Op is now $11.36. This same bag of feed was less than $8.00 four years ago. I've tried feeding my goats other rations, but the cheaper priced feeds only cost me more in the long run. I've had more problems with hooves, parasites, breeding, and kidding than ever before. I recently switched back to the 16% goat ration and the change in my goats is remarkable.

It's such a sad time...there's an increase in the need for goat meat and more people are interested in goats for breeding, showing, pets, and clearing land, yet few people can afford to get into the goat business and profit. It breaks my heart to see all the herd dispersal sales. On the other hand, I've seen some record goat prices lately so it makes one wonder...are things turning around?

For the past few days I've been interviewing goat farmers for possible articles and so far none of the people I've talked to have any plans to go out of business. Albeit, most have down-sized to 20 or less goats and are striving to keep their heads above water. When asked about the future of their farm, the answers have all been unanimous, "I plan on increasing my herd as soon as things turn around."

As mentioned, my herd is down to 16 goats but I too have plans to grow. I have several does who will kid in the next few months and hopefully there will be some kids worthy of retaining. I'm also looking at several goats for sale and know of at least one doe that I am purchasing.

Truthfully, having a small herd of goats has its advantages: less time spent feeding daily, less hay and grain to buy, less time vaccinating and trimming hooves, and it's easier to observe for any signs of illness. BUT...nobody ever said goat farming was easy and I miss having a large herd.

All I know for sure is that I LOVE GOATS and I will do whatever is necessary to keep Ivy Dale Acres running.

1 comment:

  1. Its really great buddy from last week I am using this Farm Equipment and I am getting 100% result ...Thank you

    ReplyDelete