Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Goats Are Trying to Kill Me

I've owned goats for 13 years now and can't imagine my life without them, but I SWEAR they are conspiring to kill me now...lol. I work 9am to 5pm and my husband just started working 2nd shift. He leaves the house at 1:30pm and doesn't get home until after midnight, so needless to say, things are a little tougher now. Keith (my husband) feeds all his hunting dogs and the chickens before he leaves, but that leaves the horses and goats for me to take care of, which includes giving them their daily grain, hay, bottle feeding three Nubian kids, and milking one LaMancha. I'm normally outside until 7:30 or 8:00 every evening, and I'm not complaining, albeit, the goats are trying to kill me.

There's something different going on every day.....one day I thought one of the Boer does was in labor so I put her in the barn. I came home from work at lunch to check on her and she looked at me as if to say "what are you looking at, you're the idiot that put me in here and I'm not ready!" I left her up for three days and then finally turned her back out. And then I've got an Oberhasli doe that looks like she may burst at any moment if she doesn't kid soon, but she refuses to set foot in the barn and she's not friendly, so there's no catching her. Next, one little paint doe just wouldn't stay up, I had to put her up about 10 times one evening and absolutely could not figure out how she was getting out. I finally moved her to a different lot and at least solved that problem. Then we move on to the "getting my head stuck" phase. The same two does like to stick their head through the fence everyday to munch where we all know "the grass is greener because it's on the other side" and then they want to push in the opposite direction as me when I'm trying to unhang them. I have literally sat down and cried because I was so frustrated with them.

But then I imagine how things would be without goats and it just doesn't seem feasible, so if they don't kill me then I'll hang in there lol.

I hope to keep posting as much as possible so read as often as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment