Friday, May 13, 2011

In Training




Two weeks ago I brought three kittens home. A customer came into the store where I work and he said he was going to take them to the animal shelter, but I said "no way!" I have volunteered for our local shelter and know first hand that if an animal is brought in as an owner surrender and the shelter is full then the animal is immediately euthanized!

I love all animals, but I'm more of a dog person than cat person so I wasn't sure how this was going to work out. I made the kittens a little pen in the barn in hopes that they would like the place and want to stick around and hopefully become good "mousers." I give them fresh goat milk every morning and goat milk and kitten chow in the evenings and apparently that has done the trick. They love the barn and are now out of their pen and so far are sticking around. They are, of course, into everything, but kittens are curious creatures, so what can you expect.

The goats seem to like, or at least tolerate the kittens and even the dogs are okay with them, so now they just need to learn how to kill mice. I've never been around a barn that didn't have mice unless there was a good cat around, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for names.....we have Sox, Midnite, and Stripes (or Cuddles as my niece calls him/her). The funny thing is I have been around just about every kind of animal known to man all my life, but still, at 33 years old, I cannot tell the sex of a cat until it reaches maturity, hence the names which are gender friendly. They will be making a trip to my vet soon for a little surgery, so I guess he will tell me whether I'm paying for a spay or a neuter....lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment