Thursday, May 5, 2011

Registered Goat at Grade Price




The price of goats is higher than it's been in a long time and anybody who has been in the goat business through the good times and the bad, is loving it. I'm selling grade goats for the price I used to get out of registered goats.....so it's a good time to be in the goat business!

But here's my problem....if a goat is born on my property and can be registered, I normally don't register it unless I plan on keeping it. I give buyers the option of buying the goat at a grade price or buying the goat at a higher price with an application to register. I normally never have a problem doing things this way, but recently I've had two incidences. The first one went pretty smooth though, a man bought a solid red buck from me as a grade goat. He gave me the grade price that I asked and all was well. Then he called me the very next day and asked me what I would charge if he decided later on to register the goat. I told him it would be $100 because I priced the goat $100 cheaper sold as a grade. He said okay and I didn't hear back from him until later in the year when he had a question about deworming products.

The second incidence however didn't go as smoothly....a man that we consider a friend begged us, literally begged us for a red buck that was born this year. We didn't want to sell him because we lost his sire due to old age and we wanted to keep him as a replacement. We did have two other good replacement bucks, but this one had some really good characteristics so we wanted to keep him. But the man was up here every week offering us everything under the sun for this buck. We finally relented and sold the buck. The man didn't want papers, he had no registered goats so therefore he had no need for a registered buck which were his exact words. Anyway, two weeks ago, he contacted Keith and wanted to know what we would charge him to register the goat. I firmly stated that it would be $100 plus the application fee because he wanted me to do the complete registration since he's not a member of any of the Boer Goat Associations. Anyway, he got mad, but I can't help it. It seemed like a trick to me because he wanted the goat as a grade goat, paid the grade price, and now wants papers but doesn't want to pay for a registered goat. I'm sorry, but this ain't my first rodeo and I'm not falling for any tricks. I've decided to sell goats as grade or registered and if someone buys a grade goat, then it's always going to be a grade, I will no longer offer papers on the goat once it's sold.

People may not agree with my decision on this, but because of those two incidents, I have no other choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment